Family Vacation, a time to make life-long memories. One of the most common comments and questions we get at Carolina Bound Adventures is, “We’re bringing the kids and want to get them to unplug… can you help?” Our reply: “absolutely, yes!” If your family is living in a state somewhere without mountains, we have tons of things to do around Bryson City, NC that you won’t find just anywhere – especially in the flat states. Here’s some of our favorites for families with kids of all ages…
1. Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains – It’s not uncommon at Carolina Bound Adventures when we get a call for an Appalachian Trail Shuttle and we greet families with kids that want a good hike, or even an overnight backpacking adventure. It doesn’t matter if you are new to the outdoors. Try our Carolina Bound Adventures 1/2 Day Guided Hike. We specialize with individuals and families new to the Western North Carolina area, or new to hiking that want to get out and hike, but may not have the experience or gear and want a Guided Adventure. We love introducing families and kids to our beautiful Great Smoky Mountains.
2. Mountain Biking. If the kids have ridden a bicycle on sidewalks or pavement, then they’re ready to give Mountain Biking a try! We’ve got rental mountain bikes available with gentle starter trails and offer Guided Mountain Bike Adventures for those new to the sport. When they’re feeling a bit more confident, and your Bryson City things to do list still includes a bike, there are groomed mountain bike trails out towards the Fontana Lake area that are manageable and navigatable for kids as well.
3. Whitewater Rafting. Mom! It’s OK!!! Whitewater Rafting on the Nantahala River near Bryson City, NC is family friendly and one of the biggest attractions in the area. At Carolina Bound Adventures, we’ve paid great attention to Smoky Mountain Rafting Reviews and have collaboration partnering with the best and most fun Whitewater Rafting Outfitters in the Bryson City Nantahala area. The Guided trips are fun and splashy. Perfect for cooling down on a warm summer day.
4. Lake Kayaking or Paddle Boarding. The Nantahala River Gorge puts a beautiful flow of fresh mountain stream water into Fontana Lake. Carolina Bound Adventures has availability for Fontana Lake Kayak or Paddle Board rentals or, if you prefer, we offer Private Guided Lake Kayak or Paddle Board Experiences also. If the kids fall in, so what? It’s a good way to get them rinsed off before the campfire and s’mores!
5. Ziplining for Kids Ages 4 to 12. Do you have a kid that’s a budding adrenaline junkie? We have a fun aerial zipline playground you can book here where the kids can zip, climb and play in the trees of the Nantahala Gorge. Let the kids zipline while parents, grandparents and others can watch and take pictures.
6. Pontoon Boat on Fontana Lake. One of the family fun things to do near Bryson City, NC is to book Fontana Lake Boat Rentals through Carolina Bound Adventures. Book a 1/2 day Pontoon Boat Rental here or make a full day out of it… Pack a lunch, grab some floaties, suntan lotion and fishing poles plus some cold beverages for a big family day. Don’t forget the camera!
7. Visit Cherokee NC. If you’re exploring additional things to do around Bryson City NC, Cherokee is just 10 minutes North. Cherokee is a town on the reservation home of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation and is loaded with adventure and activities. One of the most popular activities is “Unto These Hills” Outdoor Drama which recounts the history of the Cherokee Indians in the Great Smoky Mountains. If it’s a warm day, visit the Oconaluftee Islands Park. The generally shallow depth of the Oconaluftee River invites stone -skipping contests, building an ancient Cherokee fishing weir, or just wading up to your ankles to beat the heat. Don’t forget Elk viewing and Mingo Falls when you visit Cherokee also.
8. Railroad Excursion on The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. Tops on a Bryson City things to do list is a Great Smoky Mountain Train Ride. As a 1702 Club Member, we feature the opportunity for you to book a Nantahala Gorge Train Ride through us. Or mix it up: take a Nanatahala Gorge Ride and add Whitewater Rafting to it: The Raft and Rail Package. Throughout the year there are special events on our Bryson City Railroad. This April 19th and 20th, don’t miss the PEANUTS™ Easter Beagle Express! PEANUTS™ The Great Pumpkin Patch Express returns in October and as the year ends, come All Aboard THE POLAR EXPRESS™ Train Ride.
“My kids had a great experience with Carolina Bound Adventures! Our adventure package included geocaching and gem mining and was perfectly suited to their skill level for a 3 and 4 year old. Mark really showed them a fun time and became their friend very quickly! He was patient, kind, very knowledgeable about the area, and an excellent planner. As a mom, I was impressed to find he has a certification in Wilderness First Aid and was carrying the essentials in case someone got a “boo boo”. He had everything covered and I didn’t have to plan a thing!! My kids got worn out and we had a blast making wonderful memories hunting for treasures! Don’t hesitate to book your next adventure with Carolina Bound Adventures, you won’t regret you did!” Joanna K.